Pipe Shelving Project

I am so excited about this I could burst! I've been seeing pictures of this floating around the internet, and have been dying to build one myself. We desperately needed a real entertainment center. We have been using a coffee table that my grandfather built years ago (which I can't stand to part with) and hand-me-down trunk as a substitute for way too long. We finally mounted our ridiculously large tv on the wall, so what better time than now?

We measured out how high and roughly how wide we wanted our creation to be, decided how many shelves we wanted, found where our studs were, figured out where our support would need to be, and sketched out a crude rendition of our new entertainment center. Our drawing had exactly how many of each size pipe we would need, flanges, tees, and elbow joints. So, with our sketch, measurements, and tape measure in hand, we went to the hardware store and made a bee line for plumbing. We literally assembled one of the vertical supports right there in the store, to make sure that it fit our measurements and would not be too tall. It came out perfect. We chose our wooden planks for the shelves, deciding on the inexpensive treated wood, as well as a stain for them, and headed home.

We started by soaking the pipes in soapy water, and wiping them down with a dry rag to remove the greasy film from the exterior. My husband took that job, while I got down to staining the planks. All relatively easy.

Next, we began assembling our vertical supports. When we finished, we marked off our studs where the flanges would screw into the wall. For the bottom, we read in a blog that we were using as a guide, that they had used pieces of rubber under the feet to keep them from damaging the hardwood floors, and decided to do the same.

Once our two vertical supports were up, we brought in the planks to see how they would fit. We originally only had two supports, but the distance between our studs set them far apart. We added the middle supports after, to compensate for the distance and sag that the weight would cause. Overall it was a relatively simple project, although time consuming. We did have to make a few trips back and forth to the store, but with a well developed plan and good measurements we were fairly well prepared. All in, we spent around $300. The end result is exactly what we had hoped for, and just can't stop grinning when I look at it! My poor husband has to deal with me and my crazy ideas, but they usually turn out pretty great, so he can't be too upset. If you decide to do this, know that you have to put quite a few holes in the wall, and will have to fill them in if you decide to take it down.

My next goal is to make all of the cords disappear! We'll see how long that takes!